In 1834, John Talbot settled and built a grist mill along Bean Creek. Around December 1835, Addison’s history was begun, operating under the settlement name of “Manetue”.
In 1838 the town was renamed Peru until 1851. Then in 1851 Addison J. Comstock, a banker from Adrian Michigan, purchased a sizable plat of the pioneer town. Changed the identity to the name of Addison and it was entered on the plat maps, to reflect this acquisition. The village itself was incorporated as such in 1893.
In 1929-1930 the fire department was organized and by the end of 1932 there were 118 members paying $25 for protection. The village has a total area of 1 square mile, of which .96 square mile of it is land the .04 square mile is water. At the time of the 2010 census there were 605 residents in the village.